[FRIAM] The danger of a single story

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 10:00:54 EST 2021

I argued with Jon about whether such complementarity can be flattened to an enlarged universe using the Necker Cube. We (some of us) clearly have the ability to push ourselves into others shoes ... to pretend like we're them, swimming through the *same* milieu [⛧]. And we (some of us) clearly have the ability to pop ourselves out of others -- and perhaps our own -- shoes ... to pretend we're an objective/behaviorist Demon watching our subject swim through the milieu. I argued, like with the Necker cube, you can't do both at the same time. Jon questioned that ... implying disagreement.

But that's not my point, here. I think this setup might help us understand gate keeping like liberal vs woke. How much *easier* is it to put yourself in another's shoes if that other is within scope? I mean, let's face it, it's WAY easier for me to disagree with, say, Jon or SteveS than it is for me to disagree with Chimamanda or perhaps some hypothetical and nameless individual in Mexico. You can't disagree (or agree) with someone with whom you're not _familiar_. (a-gree -- adhere to the pleasing or ... adhere to the similarity) Any disagreement I might claim to have with, say, an anti-vaxxer Trumpist *must be* evidence that I've strawmanned the other, right?

[⛧] Chimamanda's story also allows distinctions between different milieus (?). I'm trying to keep it simple for this setup.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ