[FRIAM] The epiphenomenality relation

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Nov 29 17:23:52 EST 2021

On 11/29/21 12:04 PM, thompnickson2 at gmail.com wrote:

> Steve,  Is there any difference between a sequential dynamic system
> and a causal system, or is the former a species of the latter?
>
> Just trying to get the words straight.

I can't say for sure.

SDS's are definitely in the class of "causal systems" in general sense
of the term.   Wikipedia's definition of "causal system" was a little
perplexing insomuch as it defined same more in terms of not being
"acausal" or "anticausal".   I have some intuitions about what the
latter might mean but would probably continue to muddy the water by
trying.  It seems relevant that the wikipedia entry for anticausal
systems refers to them as "hypothetical"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticausal_system

The point of SDS's are that they are a fairly general, subsuming,
*formal* description (with computer-based implementations) of causal
systems.