[FRIAM] self and next*

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:43:38 EDT 2022

Ha! Yeah, I'm sensitive to the accusation. So when I toss in alternative (but nearly similar) constructions, I try to do it in an affirmative way ... to comfort the postulator that they're not alone. I also use alternative constructions to "listen actively" ... trying to see whether I understood them correctly by repeating back what I thought they said but in another "language". If i'm being an @sshole, it's not a gish gallop, it's "showing off", I suppose. But I try to sandwich in between clear qualifiers like "if I understand you" or "from my dilettante understanding of X". I'm OK with people accusing me of false humility or showing off. I worry more about accusations of bad faith ... because, at least in the original sense, the bad faith actor's deception is rooted in self-deception. Whatever happens to y'all out there, if I'm lying to myself, then I'm truly screwed, in here.

I think there's some kind of "plucking" going on with democracy. By "pluck", I mean something like a player-piano with coupled oscillators decorated by flanges, plucking the other oscillators. Short of some Causa Prima argument, there need be no fundamental driver (like in a player piano). It could just be a wandering or perhaps periodic manifestation of the coupling. It's that model which forces me to reject the simple pendulum model of uni-dimensional politics. Every time someone says "It's a pendulum. It'll swing back the other way eventually" my cardiovascular system is aroused and I can't help but object. Where does the energy come from? Does it wander? Is the wandering progressive? Is Pinker right and even if it plucks back regressively sometimes, is the larger ephemeris progressive? Or is it actually just chaotically exploring the whole space of possibilities? You don't know. Nobody knows! (That's when they get all worried that I'm unstable and try to change the conversation to food or football or somesuch nonsense.)

--
Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙