[FRIAM] Selective cultural processes generate adaptive heuristics

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Apr 12 14:05:45 EDT 2022

On 4/12/22 11:42 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

> Vitalik Buterin remarked, “An emotional part of me says that once you
> start going down that way, /professionalizing/ is just another word
> for losing your soul” [1]
>
> That sounds plausible.  However, I have long thought that an important
> part of productivity is to find consciousness-lowering habits.   Just
> attach to whatever is front of you and forget about the motivations
> and the big picture.  For one thing, it is rare that one can really
> change the big picture.  For two it is necessary to get in the
> critical path of a process to disrupt it.  The nihilistic episodic
> personality doesn’t have to impose a narrative before going on
> excursion.  Too much evaluation and reflection and one’s action as a
> virion cannot move forward!   There is plenty of time to wake up a
> judgmental brain process once embedded.  But what are judgements
> really informed by if sampling is based on an outsiders’ view?   This
> kind of ties into Glen’s local reset idea.
>
> [1] https://time.com/6158182/vitalik-buterin-ethereum-profile/

Thanks for this reference!  It lead me to try to learn more about the
crypto-idealism-fork of Buterin-Hoskinson touched on here:

https://decrypt.co/72824/vitalik-buterin-takes-swipe-at-cardano-charles-hoskinson-strikes-back

and now I have  Laura Shin's "The Cryptonians"
<https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/57356067> on my to-read pile.

I just finished Isaacson's"The Code Breaker"
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54968118-the-code-breaker?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=thyyPCBQL6&rank=1>on
CRISPR and Doudna's life-story.  With all the chatter here about
post/trans-humanism, I had expected to see others reporting on this book
here?