[FRIAM] Selective cultural processes generate adaptive heuristics

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 08:33:29 EDT 2022

Apologies for the violent reduction of your question. But I'm not smart enough to think with so many words. So I have to reduce it in order to think about it. 8^D Here's my reduction:

   1a Will bots represent their insides?
   2a Would the (social) coordination of bots be linguistic?

   Has anyone tried building a system of Communicating Bots?

I can answer the last with "yes, I have", but not in any sort of academic, scholarly, industrial, or any other serious context. So, really my "yes" is a "no, I haven't". But the project I was on did get at the question of what such things might tell us. I'll skip to the end and render my opinion and only go into the details if needed. We built 2 bots, both intended to interact with children in an augmented reality art display. The bots could talk to both the children and each other. To see how it would go before the event, we set them loose in an IRC chat room. There were 2 notable effects: 1) their conversations usually had a relatively short transient, maybe 100 sentences? I forget. Sometimes it seemed to go on for a long time. But mostly they were short interactions. And 2) they tended to explore the edge cases of their corpora. Each bot was programmed with a different corpus and their interaction tended to the corpus "leaves".

Now, our AI was not really AI as we're talking about it, here. It wasn't ML. We programmed in, manually, an ontology and a grammar by which that ontology was walked. So, whether it would do the same with one of these inductive MLs is unlikely. But, to target your sentiment that it seems like the first thing someone would do, it *was* the first thing we did. 8^D

Also, re the complexity of the gen-phen map, in context learning, etc., this came across my desk recently:

Pathways Language Model (PaLM): Scaling to 540 Billion Parameters for Breakthrough Performance
https://ai.googleblog.com/2022/04/pathways-language-model-palm-scaling-to.html?m=1

I hadn't read it till my insomnia this morning. But it seems to partially answer the robustness/polyphenism question I asked.

--
Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙