[FRIAM] fluid codes

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Mon Apr 25 02:27:04 EDT 2022

Jon, hi,

Sorry to be very late to reply.

I think the best entree into non-convexity is this very good review article by Hugo Touchette, which is what started me down the whole large-deviations road (on a pointer from Cosma):

  author = "Touchette, Hugo",
  title = "The large deviation approach to statistical mechanics",
  journal = "Phys.~Rep.",
  volume = "478",
  pages = "1--69",
  year = "2009",
  note = "arxiv:0804.0327"

It’s not super-elaborated, but very well-organized.  And unlike me, Touchette is a _really_ good scientific writer, so you don’t end up mystified what he is trying to say.  Looking for the sections that discuss Legendre-Fenchel transforms, in place of the ordinary Legendre transform for the convex cases, will vector you in rapidly.

Because I have spent so many years painfully learning how and why to use ray-theoretic methods for dynamically evolving probability distributions (stuff that is widely understood by people like Nigel Goldenfeld or Dan Stein, but I was very very slow to get the point), I have a sense that there is tons to do and tons to relate.  But I don’t know anywhere this stuff is all laid out didactically with good order and some fun, intuitive and non-messy examples.  My sense of the field’s content and its potential is all just little anecdotes and this-or-that model that I worked out in my notes, but didn’t have anyplace to publish.  Yet I am sure that all the other people who have worked on this, Like Bertini, di Sole, or Jona-Lasinio in Italy, all know and have worked through the same images.

I wish I had better than that to offer,

Eric