[FRIAM] Who wrote the essay?

Robert Holmes rholmes62 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 13:25:31 EST 2022

Here's what I got when I asked ChatGPT "Please draft a PhD research
proposal on The Metaphysics and Ethics of Copyright". Frankly, if Steve's
was from a prospective PhD student, they need to start using ChatGPT :)

—Robert

Title: The Metaphysics and Ethics of Copyright: A Philosophical Analysis

Research Questions:

   - What are the metaphysical foundations of copyright law? How does the
   concept of "intellectual property" fit into traditional metaphysical
   categories such as substance, cause, and essence?
   - How do different ethical theories, such as deontology,
   consequentialism, and virtue ethics, approach the issue of copyright? What
   are the strengths and weaknesses of each perspective?
   - How do the metaphysical and ethical issues surrounding copyright
   intersect with contemporary debates over digital technology, artificial
   intelligence, and the "commons"?

Research Methodology:

   - This research will be primarily philosophical in nature, using
   conceptual analysis and argumentative synthesis to examine the underlying
   assumptions and implications of copyright law.
   - The research will draw on a variety of sources, including legal
   scholarship, philosophy of law, and moral philosophy, as well as case
   studies and empirical data as appropriate.
   - The research will engage with contemporary debates and controversies,
   such as the ongoing conflict between technology companies and content
   creators, and the role of copyright in global economic development.

Expected Contributions:

   - This research aims to provide a more nuanced and comprehensive
   understanding of the metaphysics and ethics of copyright, moving beyond
   simplistic assumptions and polemics.
   - The research will offer a philosophical perspective on the complex and
   multifaceted issues surrounding intellectual property, and will provide a
   framework for further dialogue and reflection on these issues.
   - The research will contribute to the broader fields of philosophy and
   law, and will have practical implications for policy and legal reform.