[FRIAM] Academia.edu

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Dec 20 17:32:38 EST 2022

I don't know how I got on Academia.edu's list but they have seduced me
well to the point that I have found myself answering their questions
about all kinds of things I would normally ignore (or figure out how to
"unsubscribe")....

Their regular list of "recommended reading" has been so spot-on for me
that I always read the abstract and often read whole papers I had no
idea existed by authors I knew nothing of before.

I have several times made the effort to go through a few dozen papers
offered as having been authored by me and marked them "not me!" (what
with a name like mine?) Their false-positives are quite high and I've
not bothered to see if they credit *all* my publications (not that
numerous anyway)...  but I find it cathartic to read through titles of
papers that my dopplenyms might have written and consider who I might be
if I'd followed one of their dozen(s) of alternate tracks!

I have stopped short of actually giving them money  ($150/year) and I'm
offended by their *pitch*:

      * /Don't miss a single Mention/
      * /Track your growing reputation See what academics are saying
        about you/

I don't really care what others are saying about me (or more to the
point, it is none of my business) and I can use Google Scholar to search
for citations easily enough if/when I might care...

but as I said, their reading-recommendation false-positives are near zero!

anyone know anything more about them?  Have your own experiences?

<https://www.academia.edu/>

PREMIUM

  62 papersmention Steve Smith

Including one Artificial Intelligence paper

  * Don't miss a single Mention
  * Track your growing reputation See what academics are saying about you

Upgrade to view your Mentions▸