[FRIAM] talking to bots is fun for everyone

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 14:41:41 EST 2022

Yeah, I know. But your answers were inadequate for answering Eric's question, without exhibiting that you were answering the question. I.e. you weren't answering the question, except by implied omission ... aka *lying* by omission. >8^D

It's (badly) analogous to if your S.O. asks you whether you're having an affair with a particular person. And you answer: "No, I'm not having an affair with *that* particular person."  Sure, we all know ¬(A⇒B)⇒A⋀¬B. But that's not what gpt said, which was "the formula on the right is true *only* if the formula on the left is true". I'm guessing that would mean ¬B⇒¬A. And I'm further guessing the only way we can get to that is if we swap out the ⇒ with a ⇔ in the discussed premise.

Brevity is your enemy. Previously, I asked gpt to contrast Richard Rorty and CS Peirce. It gave me this super simplified answer that woefully misrepresented both. They've weighted ChatGPT (at least) so heavily to brevity and summarization that the summaries are either flat out wrong, or (like Frank did here) fail to target the subject being discussed entirely. I think they could compensate by weighting rare tokens more heavily than common tokens. I'm sure they already do that to some extent. But whatever methods they're using aren't working very well.

I want to say something about how LLMs might be able to get at *a* logic (or a finite number of logics) exhibited in our text(s), but won't be able to get at *theories* of logics, the kind of distinction Beall (via Weber) seems to be making in that book review. Whether one is tolerant of inconsistency (like me) or insists on metalanguages for resolving paradox is irrelevant. What matters is that a bot that can use either method will outperform one that can't. But, of course, I shouldn't say anthing of that sort, because I'll demonstrate my incompetence even more than I already have. What's the old saying? It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and show everyone you are stupid? Oh well. I guess that ship's sailed. 8^D

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ