[FRIAM] Double Master Function (was Re: bad covid story)

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Feb 4 12:04:22 EST 2022

Well stated if (and!) densely packed.

Your conception of F vs SF and invocation of Deutsch's "hard to vary"
are the sorts of ideas I was trying to get to with the idea of emergent
coherence vs literal consistency.

I like the idea of broad coverage without giving up coherence... "if
everything is possible, then nothing is interesting"?   I was part of an
early internet fiction writing group hosted by Orson Scott Card back in
the 90s (Hatrack River) which meant that in exchange for having lots of
possible first-readers of my own work, I was blessed/burdened with
reading a lot of amateur fiction. The biggest flaw *I* encountered in
the heavily-weighted-toward-fantasy milieu of submissions was this
one... it felt like these inexperienced writers simply enjoyed (and
abused) the license to "coin a new bit of magic" anytime their
protaganist got cornered...  that was not very interesting (to me).   On
the other hand, I might be too biased toward always trying to "figure
out the hidden logics" which makes (for me) a good fantastical tale.
I'm not big on murder-mysteries, but that is what seems to carry them to
the extent they are carried for me... the sense that no matter how
tangled the evidence may be, I know/trust that the author (or more to
the point, the story itself) has a hidden logic which will be revealed
and it is up to me to tease it out as best I can.  If it is too easy, it
isn't interesting, if it is too hard, it isn't interesting...  the best
ones usually have me untangling any number of the tangles but having at
least a few left obscured to me such that I learn something (about
getting away with murder?  human nature?) as a consequence.   I may well
still be looking (too much) for (too much) consistency by your measure.

A departure from the Gouldian binary pitting F vs SF might be David
Brin's "Practice Effect
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Practice_Effect>" where "everything
is possible, but you still have to put in the work!".   Zelazny's
"Hellriding" felt to be his version of "putting in the work".   When I
first read Brin's book I was a little put off in the way I implied above
but I was impressed by what I called Zelazny's work of "Hard
Fantasy".    Probably another word for "hidden logics".

Speaking of consistency and the adjacent possible.   Your talk of "cone
of possibilities" reminds me of HashLife (Gosper
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0167278984902513>)
and the value of memoization.   I never followed through on a project
with Susan Stepney and one of her Grad students to try to use
memoization efficiency as a rough measure of entropy and therefore
"interestingness" in hashlife...   One of the unexplored hypotheses I
held was that there were likely finer structure in Class IV (Wolfram
<https://content.wolfram.com/uploads/sites/34/2020/07/universality-complexity-cellular-automata.pdf>)
CA which could be found by mining the metadata from memoization and
back-propogating of complex end-states.  I think Kauffman's Boolean Node
Automata
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0167278984902574>(from
whence ultimately came his "adjacent possible"?) were a bit more apt in
not imposing the a-priori structure that CA do.