[FRIAM] Another Stunning Hydrogen Development - Retake Our Democracy

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Feb 7 13:34:26 EST 2022

Mike -

Thanks for weighing in.   I do like the re-purposing or up/downcycling
of  existing infrastructure as part of a transition strategy.  Any
perspective you might have from a *systems* point of view of how Breeze
and pneumatic storage/transmission can help improve the robustness and
efficiency of multi-scale systems would be great.

I was very shocked a few years ago when I learned about the application
of compressed air in mobile applications as well:  I didn't realize
there was enough energy-density to be had.

https://www.downtoearth.org.in/blog/air/compressed-air-vehicles-can-be-a-potential-mode-of-urban-transport-in-india-62987

There is something kindof organic/serendipitous about being able to
harvest ambient energy gradients (fill your air tank in coolth of the
night or in the shade and expose it to sunlight/heat at the time/point
of use).

When I hit "send" on this message, I'm crawling back down my well-house
to repair a burst pipe and (re)evaluate the difficulty of removing the
pressure tank so that I can replace the air-bladder in it.  The
Pneumo-Hydro hybrid of a well is there primarily to reduce pump-cycling
and pressure hammer in the piping system but it is a good everyday
example of hybrid systems.   A pressure tank is pretty cool
serendipitous solution.  I would guess that submerged airbladders would
complement hydro-storage pretty well.

The Breeze literature fed my overly tangential mind with an image of
Tony HIllerman's novel Sinister Pig wherein pipelines crossing the US/MX
border might be used to move drugs in the "pigs" designed to act as
moving plugs to separate different types/ownership of petroleum products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinister_Pig

I've been fascinated with hybrid mechanical/hydraulic/pneumatic systems
from an early age with a good friend even in the early 80s running a
boot repair business from an antique belt-driven set of stations up and
down the line in his shop from cutters to stichers to sanders to
buffers, etc.  Of course all were driven from a (single) electric motor,
but any rotational mechanical energy was fine
(wind/water/animal/human-driven
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadwheel_crane>) .  It was all shafts,
bushings, pulleys and idlers and (leather) belts.  It was very clever
and relatively efficient (by some measures) compared to a half-dozen or
more stations, each driven by it's own electric motor.  Setting up a new
station was pretty easy with little more than sliding a pulley down a
shaft and fixing it with a set-screw.

I'd love to have my (mostly idle/defunct) blacksmith lean-to running
with such a shaft, an oversized airtank (that I can differentially shade
and expose to sun) and a small windmill connected (belt-drive) to the
human-powered, stationary bicycle-style grinder I already use.   The
stone, when not grinding becomes a flywheel for the system and the
pedals a human-input into it.   Then comes the trip-hammer and the
bellows!   Not in this lifetime.   I'll be lucky to have water pressure
back in the house this week with my rate of project progress!

- Steve