[FRIAM] by any means necessary

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:23:30 EST 2022

Yeah, you can see the bad faith in Neuralink's 1st paragraph: "It is important to note that these accusations come from people who oppose any use of animals in research. Currently, all novel medical devices and treatments must be tested in animals before they can be ethically trialed in humans."

PCRM *is* against any use of animals in research, as am I. But we *all* know that animals must be used in (some) research, including PCRM. So, even though I'm *against* any use of animals in research, my opposition to it amounts to condoning it when it's necessary and, if necessary, it be done openly and humanely.

Their bad faith is similar to the abortion strawman. Even Renee' has said to me that she's known someone who "used abortion as birth control". It's ridiculous. If you've had an abortion, you know that it's not a trivial thing, medically or emotionally. Those who objectify and *other* people like PETA (or PCRM) and trivialize their concerns are not worth listening to. Ignore Neuralink's silly protestations. Pay attention to their actions. Same with politicians. Pay more attention to their votes and campaign financing, less to the rhetoric they push to their tribe.

My guess is there are many effective and well-intentioned people in Neuralink and that this exposure, shrill, annoying, and backseating as it may be, will help them do a better job. But we won't know that unless/until they allow their critics some backseating access.

--
glen
When elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers.