[FRIAM] sanctions schmanctions

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Feb 25 13:14:35 EST 2022

On 2/25/22 7:33 AM, glen wrote:
> I guess I spoke too soon:
>
> https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/anonymous-attacks-russia-ukraine-invasion-rt-ddos-b2023177.html

I am still unclear about how self-organized/appointed dis-organizations
like Anonymous can actually work.  I don't mean that critically as much
as hopefully.  I am trying to understand how emergent distributed
collectives self-organize enough to exist, much less achieve
(transitory) homeostasis.  It is fascinating in the abstract as well as
in the specifics of space-time events such as this article references.
I'd love to hear more reflection/discussion, even speculation about this.

> rt.com was down around 3am. But it's back, now, with a fresh story
> about he "denazification" of Ukraine. [sigh]
>
> https://www.rt.com/russia/550617-response-to-negotiations-ukraine/
It looks like they are down now, or at least very askew.  I get some
crufty bits in my browser (but without inspecting the
html/javascript/css source, which I am ill-equipped and in any case
loathe to do) and take it to mean there is significant interference
afoot (more like direct server hack or Man in the Middle than DDOS).

> Of course, is it fake news that our agent in Ukraine may have helped
> "nazify" them?
> https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/01/25/basic-notes-on-victoria-fuck-the-eu-nuland/

I've not read much from/by/about CounterPunch but they are part of one
of the tangled webs I feel you must live in, because so often when you
offer us a nice cozy-looking warren, we find it is twisty-turny passages
all the way down (into a looking glass wonderland?).   Again, not to
criticize... I assume this means *you* have the capacity to go further,
dig deeper, deconvolute the convolutions than I (apparently) do.   The
only thing I can summarize from reading this article is a reminder that
"my enemy's enemy is not my friend".

> I'm too ignorant to tease it all apart.
Re: my last paragraph.   Your depth seems to exceed mine by more than a
little, but I *do* appreciate your willingness to tease these things
apart (not just tease us with them) in front of us as much as you do
(try).   It is often frustrating and unsatisfying, but that, I think, is
the nature of the beast, not attributable to the messenger.
> But it doesn't really matter why Putin's doing what he's doing ...
> like our silly "mens rea" principle. What matters is the killing, not
> the intentions of the killer.

As I contemplate the sensing/modeling/action cycle and try to fit it
into some abstraction of consciousness, I think we absolutely *must*
take into the intentions of the killer.  That is not to say that we
should conflate excuses with reasons and vice-versa, or that in some
ethical sense we (always?) give a pass to "innocent" mistakes, yet it
seems dys-functional to not factor in the (apparent) black-box logic of
an adversary/co-conspirator.

I have been planning a European trip in spite of Greta and Fauci's
shrill admonitions, but with Putin's swagger, perhaps I will put it off
a bit longer.   After all, it seems that container-ship-sailing (my
ideation of the least impactful of commercial modes of ocean-crossings)
may be a thing of the past (between COVID and port-backups).

"interesting times" indeed.   I've reported here before on Gibson's
(semi) recent (and impending) Jackpot Trilogy and my fascination with
his (nicely unspecified) conception of "The Jackpot" but recently
discovered a small group of shared-world authors, organized by John
Scalzi whose shared-world is a 2030ish post-collapse world which very
nicely (IMO) lampoons/implicates both neoCon and neoLibs alike with
enough of my own techno-luddite-green-spectra ideations.   A key linkage
to "Jackpot" is that they use the phrases "soft collapse" and "soft
recovery" in a way that complements the (more usual) short-sharp-shock
collapses of Apocalyptic fiction.

Jumble,

  - Steve

PS.  I recently heard the term "Q Cucks Klan" for the first time... it
seems so acutely pointed and lampoony and "right on" that I would surely
remember it if I'd heard it before.   On the Q-anon backstory, I wonder
how many others here have held Q or other Gov clearances and how their
experience with that supports/denies  the attributions folks give to Q
his/herself?