[FRIAM] Adversarial Collaboration - Kahneman

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Feb 28 12:56:21 EST 2022

On 2/28/22 10:19 AM, glen wrote:
> Very cool! Thanks. I need this. I've made a new friend with an MD
> focused on Psychiatry. She's a psychodynamics therapist (which I've
> ranted about with Frank). At supper, I consistently used the word
> "argument", e.g. "We have a lot of arguments in our future". She and
> her husband kept objecting to the word "argument", insisting that we
> use softer words like "discussion" or whatever. After lots of poking
> and shredding, it came to the concept of foundationalism ... the idea
> that there *can be* some common ground within which to be
> collaboratively adversarial. I'm skeptical that such foundations are
> even possible, much less findable and measurable. But as long as we
> can identify *that* we're assuming such a foundation, defining a game
> of some sort, then I can play along nearly as if I actually agree on
> that foundation, at least for awhile.
>
> Maybe this construct will help us find a way to do that without anyone
> feeling bullied.

And maybe for some (of us) the feeling of being bullied is necessary to
activate the adversarial mode needed?   I sense that, among contrarians
(of which we have a couple of full-timers and myriad part-timers here?)
there is an ideation on their (your) part that your collaborator
(opponent) *must* feel confronted (if not bullied) to achieve the
activation potential that might be measured by Kahneman's "15 point IQ
rise"?    As a subject of well-intentioned confrontation by "the Loyal
Opposition", I do find contradiction, confrontation, disagreement to be
useful to provoking/managing my own participation.

I am naturally both skeptical and critical on the inside but have been
trained into being overtly cooperative in most contexts.  I think it is
MY adaptation to real-world bullies who want to create a pretext for
conflict that invites more bullying (see Putin v Ukraine).   I therefore
(I think) seek out those who do not have so much of that adaptation but
in fact, are not actually died-in-the-wool bullies... just ones who play
that role on TV (or at the Pub or in Internet Fora).

Another fascinating (and relevant IMO) article in the Atlantic does a
pretty good job of outlining a perspective on the complexity of
self-other consciousness/awareness from a particular
evolutionary-theoretic point of view.  Maybe right up Nick's alley?

    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/06/how-consciousness-evolved/485558/

This whole thing rhymes (I find) with the Generative Adversarial Network
discussions we've had here in the past.

And for some of us, maybe we can fold in Hypergraphs also... ;^)