[FRIAM] Here's a more down to earth Q

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jul 23 12:50:59 EDT 2022

My Appalachian ancestors were quite fond of both sarsparilla vine and
sassafrass tree root-products as an herbal tonic.  They were prone to
making teas (more appropriately tisanes) from this for medicinal/comfort
purposes.   None that I know of were brewers, though they likely did use
these (and other) root extracts to flavor (mask bad flavors) in the
fermented things they ran through their stills (corn, rye, apple, pear,
etc).

Here is an interesting history of the pharmacy Soda Fountain.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/soda-fountains--their-pharmacist-inventors