[FRIAM] Peirce, Buddhism, Monism, Behaviorism, oh my!

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 3 03:51:06 EDT 2022

Jochen wrote:
> A rainbow in the clouds or a movie in the cinema could be confirmed by
> other observers, but only for a short time and not subsequently in the
> time that follows.

I particularly like this example because in fact in the sense that "one
cannot step in the same river twice" no two observers see the same
rainbow.   The light entering our eyes or the lens of a camera or a
spectroradiometer is precisely unique to all the other eyes,  cameras,
radiometers possible.  On careful inspection, any given water droplet
spreads the light spectrum entering it (conventionally a distribution of
"white" light from the sun) at a given angle through multiple internal
reflections before exiting *in all directions within a solid angle
defined by the wavelength* with different intensities and different
wavelengths.   The light entering any given aperture arranged at any
location surrounding the water droplet (for best rainbow effect, the sun
should be coming from behind your shoulder) the wavelength and intensity
of the light will be different for each observer.   The collective
experience of a circular array of light in a band (or several concentric
bands), conventionally clipped by the  landscape over which it appears
to hover as a "bow" is a physical as well as psychological aggregation
effect.   And yet the multiple observers (including re-views of a
photographic capture) see what feels to be the same rainbow, and in fact
each observation is of the same combined effect of uniform droplet sizes
and the illumination sources (sun) angle of incidence.

All sensory experiences begin this way, but few are as strikingly
ambiguous as a rainbow or a mirage.   Both represent energetic
interactions between light and matter that a physicist can respect and
explain, and in some sense the reflection of light off of the surface of
any object or set of objects is the same thing.   No two observers see
the same image, yet impute the reflecting surface to be of one object.
Stereo vision and now advanced complex multi-camera/position
structure-from-motion photogrammetry and 3D reconstruction depend on
this, and generally have to ignore all incidents of refraction or
diffraction and observe only reflection (and emission as in the case of
a fire or other light source).

Sound illusions are yet more common but most of us "read past" them and
ignore that the sound we thought we heard in front of us was from behind
us... we are (more) used to being tricked by sound than vision.

The fact that I can even speak in these terms coherently (to myself
anyway) reflects that I believe in the same kind of physical reality
Jochen does, even if I argue that such is still entirely contextual (in
this case POV, wavelength, etc) and only "real" when "limits" and
"statistical aggregation" are applied. The phenomena we call a rainbow
is real on one sense and yet not-real in another as Jochen points out.
I contend that *all* perception falls in this category, yet some are so
acutely ambiguous (rainbow/tesseract-projection, etc) that we are able
to notice.

The fact that we seem to be able to communicate a coherent, shared view
of "reality" is what I find most fascinating. Ethnographers cultural
anthropologists and psychologists  can say a LOT about the differing
ways we perceive things based on our own internal configurations and
those we share with our cultural embedding.   My earliest scholarly
fascinations were mathematics and physics for their pristine rigor.
Linguistics also caught my eye later for similar reasons, but yet more
relevant to the experience of being human.   The longer I live, the more
I become interested  in the exceptions rather than the rules, and from
where I sit, it is "exceptions all the way down" in some sense. Someone
here with better grounding in the branches of philosophy can probably
name where I sit in their spectrum/tree with that perspective.