[FRIAM] dancing on the edge of the uncanny valley

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 24 03:03:27 EDT 2022

PS.   One of the comments in the Daily Beast article suggested that
deep-fakes are used for signal compression...   I have experienced 2
examples of this which are compelling:

 1. text/search-completion/anticipation where it feels as if the system
    already knows what I am likely to want to type next (I sometimes
    think it is training *mildly* on my own text, not just on a larger
    corpus).
 2. hand/eye/body tracking.   Early VR was hampered badly by lag in
    tracking caused both by transmission/queuing and processing delays
    so a workaround was to build an anticipatory model which
    extrapolated trajectories of (for example, hand) motions... when
    overdone it gave you the sense that your hand was attached
    elastically to the VR rendering of a pointing device with inertia
    which was better than the raw *lag* experience.   head trackng was
    even more critical because cybersickness but in some ways easier
    because it was more constrained (6DOF neck/body movements more
    constrained than the nominally hip/torso/shoulder/elbow/wrist DOF of
    the hand).  I always wondered if a properly coupled system (in the
    inter-reality (Guintatas) sense) would lead to entrainment similar
    to what (I think) martial artists, gymnasts, dancers experience when
    they train?  This is probably a very real issue/experience in
    robotic exoskeletal development?