[FRIAM] Birx presentation

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Fri Jun 24 13:04:31 EDT 2022

Dragon has a dialog for new vocabulary. I pasted “ꙮ Mɥǝu
ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ” into it
and entered “grass elephant” for the spoken trigger, and then spoke
“this is a test new line grass elephant” and got this:

	This is a test
	ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙
ꙮ

There was a small company in Texas (a married couple actually) that
wrote a bunch of rules for our student-targeted product, *Scientific
Notebook*, that allowed voice input of practically all mathematics. They
used a feature of SNB which allowed the use of macros — strings of
text that got replaced by arbitrary fragments of mathematics (TeX or
MathML). You could say “quadratic formula” and up pops the formula
properly formatted.

We also did output with Nemeth braille (Nemeth is an encoding of math
used in the US) which was distributed by Duxbury, so we had some really,
really grateful users.

—Barry