[FRIAM] Off-ramp for conflict

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sun Mar 6 07:08:31 EST 2022

When the Roman empire got defeated by Germanic tribes 2000 years ago, emperor Augustus was devastated and shouted "Varus, give me back my legions!". The long column of Roman soldiers which was ambushed and eliminated reminds of the 60 km Russian convoy near Kyiv that is ambushed now. It seems to me that Russia is losing the war.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_ForestDoesn't it make sense from a psychological perspective to offer the Russian president a path towards de-escalation where he can save his face, despite everything which is happening in Ukraine? If Fiona Hill says he will press the red button when he is cornered then I believe herhttps://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340-J.