[FRIAM] Patriotic Millionaires

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Mar 8 13:26:11 EST 2022

I was tempted to start a new thread, but this one has become so frayed
(as our threads oft do) that it feels it doesn't really matter.

I mentioned a couple of times an evacuation effort by Mary's nephew&wife
in Wisconsin of a young woman they hosted in an exchange program a few
years ago.   Here is the GoFundMe they stood up which helped to get her
as far as Krakow (now a couple of days ago).   They increased the raise
by a few $K as they discovered the legal expenses likely to be incurred
for getting her properly "invited" to the US legally.  It isn't clear
that is even possible even though she has a vested sponsor here (Will
and Krystine)

    https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-vlada-evacuate-ukraine

I am not specifically soliciting contributions here, though I am sure
they would appreciate more support of that kind.  The point is more to
put a personal face/circumstance to what is going on which is 2 degrees
from FriAM, if that matters to anyone.

I think support of former Warsaw-pact countries bordering Ukraine and of
Russian people (with some level of resistance to Putin's war) is as
useful/important as the acute support of any individual.  In this case,
I am supporting Vlada's journey for both reasons... family loyalty to
help those who care about her relieve their own stress by helping her
directly... and trusting that removing her from the pool of refugees
building up in Poland and the community (Govs,NGOs,private individuals)
resources consumed to help her tread water there.   If we could
institute a buddy program easily I would support her bringing a
friend/acquaintance to a welcoming home/community outside of Madison WI.