[FRIAM] altered states of consciousness

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 15 19:14:21 EDT 2022

Kernel has more sophisticated technology than was available in the late 60's and early 70's, but their basic research plan—as near as I can discover—is a pale imitation of the extensive research done by Charles Tart, John Lilly, and a host of investigators into altered states of consciousness.

John Lilly was (in)famous for his work on human-dolphin communication and experiments giving dolphins LSD. His group did extensive research on the use of hallucinogens along with "programming the biocomputer" techniques to treat various psychological disorders.

My introduction to LSD was via participation in a research project at Macalester College (1969). We were wired to a rack mounted computer system with electrode patches all over our shaved heads registering brain wave patterns. The study also compared LSD altered states with meditation and Hatha Yoga induced states. One experiment used inversion glasses to mess with perception and the "adjustment phase altered state" while the brain 're-programmed' itself to an upside-down world.

Therapeutic effects for depression were noted then.

The research done then would never be approved today because it involved human subjects and "dangerous" substances: LSD, psylocibin, and mescaline.

davew