[FRIAM] and don’t miss this

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 13:40:35 EDT 2022

The western [oligarchy] is preventing us from going after the assets of Russia’s [oligarchy]
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/16/russia-rich-wealthy-western-elites-thomas-piketty

Starlink and compensating posturing notwithstanding, I'd challenge Musk to support this sort of accountability, were I anyone. Of course, that would be "tightening constraints" not "relaxing constraints". Musk has multiple veneer layers, much like Putin. Inferring beyond the layers to the core, they seem the same to me. Power, power, who's got the power.

NATO rejects the no-fly zone. But my guess is it's not because of some Utilitarian sense of suffering. It's because war is only profitable to a small slice of the industrial world. In some ways, that's a good thing, I guess. It signals that we've moved away from bombs and fire, toward money and "cyber"/info. To Alphabet, Meta, and even Musk Enterprises, people are not only the means of production, but also the product. It's stupid to destroy your merchandise. It's smarter to keep them enslaved. It's akin to our move from broad spectrum [pest|herb]icides toward *targeted* "management". Bombs and fire are too coarse to preserve the status quo. Oligarchs like Musk need the analog for GMOs and viruses ... hearts and minds of the Metaverse denizens.

NATO's missed the boat on this one, defending oligarchs everywhere.