[FRIAM] (not) leaving Twitter

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Thu Nov 17 12:23:19 EST 2022

My play with etoro.com is extremely limited.  Pentland talks about
interventions to nudge investors out of bubbles, where people get all into
chasing a single investment theory.  He also talks about hedge funds where
every investment is permanently on 90 day probation.  But that's all
happening at the tops of the markets, and the tops of the markets are all
entranced by the rewards of being the biggest bullies in their respective
siloes and becoming bigger siloes.

The old Los Alamos National Bank, LANB, was founded by a LANL scientist as
an antidote to big-bank homogenization.  There are still hints of that
origin in https://www.linkedin.com/company/los-alamos-national-bank/, but
LANB sold itself out to a big bank several years ago.

But are spotify and instagram internationally homogenous?  I get the
impression that they're caught in the western world bubble, which only
pretends to be the whole world.  We sort of have a world culture that is
purely technical: electricity, heat engines, cell phones, internet
protocol, unicode, cellphone localization clusters in space-time, et c..
But at the linguistic boundaries, everything else is up for grabs, and the
news coming back across the linguistic boundaries is treated as exotica.

-- rec --