[FRIAM] (not) leaving Twitter

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:15:44 EST 2022

Sorry. I don't intend to say that the result is (completely) homogenous, only that the tools are homogenzing. As Frank pointed out, such optimizers can be intelligently *used* for exploration. But absent the intentional usage pattern, they push (or pull) one into the same direction they push everyone else. It's been interesting sporadically going back to Twitter now that I've deleted everything. My lists, followed, followers, were fairly well curated. And I got a lot of exploratory value out of it when I did use it. I've had similar success with Pandora. I failed with Spotify mostly because I didn't try very hard.

I have a common conversation with Facebook users along these lines. Those who talk about *using* Facebook tend to make some sense to me. Those that talk about "having" or "being on" Facebook don't make much sense to me. The words they use are confusing and I have to pepper them with questions to get at their use cases and usage patterns. I think the conversation is similar for, say, those who "read the NYT" versus those who sporadically cite it. Such technologies (or [sub]cultures) are only homogenizing for those who don't pay fairly close attention to their usage patterns.

As an idiot "investor" who simply tries to put in their Roth, per year, allotment and spreads it out arbitrarily, I suspect etoro.com would homogenize me. But I wouldn't know unless I started putting money in there and suffering the consequences.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ