[FRIAM] What is the response when bad faith is pervasive and coordinated?

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 19:14:59 EDT 2022

I'm not sure this is relaxant Dave but...When I was a senior at Berkeley I
took an upper division course for non-majors in political science
(unusual).  Among the many required readings was a short book by Eric
Hoffer called The True Believer.  It presents ideas which may explain
schismogenesis.  They are certainly relevant to Trumpism.

At that time Hoffer was a research professor even though he had no formal
higher education.  He had spent a career as a longshoreman.  The professor
invited him to give a series of lectures.  This was in the context of the
Free Speech Movement, which was occurring in Sproul Plaza a few yards from
the lecture hall.  He told "us students" that we were acting like Latin
American students which he did not intend as a compliment.

Not long after that he decided that he had been on the wrong side which he
blamed on his aging and fossilization.  Shortly after that he resolved to
stop being a social commentator.

If you haven't already done so, which I doubt, read True Believer.

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,
Santa Fe, NM 87505