[FRIAM] Cleve Moler/Jack Dongarra visits

Angel Edward edward.angel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 18:13:44 EDT 2022

Some of you should remember Cleve from FRIAM when he was living in Santa Fe. Others of you have used Matlab, which he created while he was a Math Professor at UNM. Later, when he was chair of the CS Dept and I was running the computer engineering program, we were giving out the first FORTRAN version to anyone who sent us a mag tape. Now Matlab is used by almost every engineer in the world and Mathworks has thousands of employees around the world.

Jack Dongarra was Cleve’s PhD student ayt UNM   and recently was awarded the 2022 Turing Prize. Jack will be giving a talk at UNM next Monday followed by a reception. You can find out more and sign up to attend at https://unmresearch.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4NNI0KueAiPIAS2?Q_CHL=qr <https://unmresearch.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4NNI0KueAiPIAS2?Q_CHL=qr>.

Last week, UNM and Mathworks signed the papers to create the Cleve Moler/Mathworks Endowed Professorship in Mathematical and Engineering Software in CS at UNM. Cleve will be coming out next week for Jack’s talk. He’ll probably come up to Santa Fe during the week.

A note for Stephen, Owen and some of you others who were in my “class” on graphics at Redfish. Summer 2021, Rose Mary and I spent about five days with Cleve and Patsy in Maryland. I was finally able to get Cleve excited about Computer Graphics. We spent a couple of days taking the parametric equations for pastas from the book “Pasta By Design” into Matlab and then displaying the images. Subsequently, Cleve’s devoted a whole series on his  Cleve’s  Corner blog on the Mathworks site to computer graphics.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	edward.angel at gmail.com
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel