[FRIAM] Wolpert - discussion thread placeholder

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 14:43:39 EDT 2022

There's a nice thread in your responses to 3 of the questions:

5: "alternative SAM"
8: limitation of "mind" but not brain
12: *all* of physical reality

These (and I prolly missed some) allude, I think, to the distinction between the indexicality of the subject (the actual animal-agent) and the linguistic subject (the token "I" when spoken by the animal-agent). In our arguments about an inner life (interior world) versus a behavioristic flattening to monism, we don't articulate well enough that language vs speaker distinction.

Wolpert's trying to discuss built artifacts, whether source code or arts/anthropology *publications* is largely irrelevant, to me. A published paper in an anthropology journal *is* a "finite sequence from a finite alphabet", however distinct it might be from a mathematical proof. So, it's not that hard to widen SAM to include such things. We don't need to write him off as a Scientismist.

And if we do widen the domain of SAM in that way, then we get to a kind of Wittgensteinian [in]effability, even if it's not formalizable like that from Tarski or Gödel. When I hear you poetry fans talk about how poetry gets at some corners/edges of the universe that other forms cannot, what I hear is the idea that poetry brings the linguistic subject *closer* to the ontological subject. It gets into those pathological corners that more explicit artifacts (like prose or math proofs) can't reach. This is especially true with things like cadence, onomatopoeia, etc. *Spoken* poetry is tacitly different from written poetry *because* it is a composition of speaker and language.

I'm not a fan of neuro-linguistic programming. I think it's largely nonsense. But there is *something* that makes it easier to be a guru-in-the-flesh than to be a guru-in-writing. So whatever that thing is, body language, pheromones, whatever, that is also SAM. Prestidigitation is not categorically different than, say, lab chemistry. Our SAM assumes our bodies, in the lab, doing benchwork as much as it assumes computers executing Matlab and hands writing equations.

So, if one buys that rhetoric, Wolpert's mistake is in separating the speaker from the language. There's no problem with the conception of "all of reality". There's only a problem assuming it can be written down (as SteveS mentioned via "not-prestateable"). But to be fair, Wolpert's "Physical Limits of Inference" treats this very issue, which is why I'm pretty sure "What Can We Know" is a bit of a steelman of a position he may not hold himself.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ