[FRIAM] Jack Cowan / Visual Hallucinations and structure of Visual Cortex (was Re: dystopian vision(s))

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Sat Oct 22 23:19:53 EDT 2022

Nick,

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 8:32 PM <thompnickson2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> And always, always, remember that you are looking through the blood supply
> to your retina because it is mounted backwards.  There must be an enormous
> amount of error correction going on.

Language like that might well get you kicked out of the Neo-Gibsonian
Society!

https://monoskop.org/images/1/12/Gibson_James_J_1972_2002_A_Theory_of_Direct_Visual_Perception.pdf
"we do not see our retinal images. We see the environment"

The task for the perceiver is not to add structure to impoverished sensory
stimulation, but to detect the structure that already exists
(E. J. Gibson & Spelke, 1983).