[FRIAM] AI Musings

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Apr 1 16:01:59 EDT 2023

> Stephen,
> Very smart to put my question re: CEOs vs AI to ChatGPT. My question
> regarded “medium and long-term” capabilities. Your query to the bot
> was for the present time. And yet, nevertheless, I interpret the bot’s
> response to you to be, essentially, that there are certain CEO
> positions that AI capability can fill right now - with some
> qualifications. I’d say that’s a bit disrupting.

And we could hope that CEOs everywhere are in fact already asking
ChatGPT, et alia to "help" them with some of the problems they maybe
believe that they might/could/should be able to help with? I'm guessing
*some* CEOs have amazing admins or executive teams at their elbow
already doing this, and some of them will consult the AI-Oracle and
thereby become *better* at their jobs quickly?

Since some of us here (not me) make their living coding daily, I can
imagine that your code is already being improved.  A close colleague of
mine who does in fact code daily but is also something of a skeptic of
the *hype* around AI gave over two weeks ago and began experimenting.
He claims that it doesn't really help him *write* code but it does help
him verify it in ways that a "first reader" might, but that a compiler
wouldn't (raising the level of analysis form syntactic to semantic?).

Glen already exposed us to a text summarizer and I find this to be a
good use of ChatGPT for myself...   perhaps I should run all my FriAM
posts through it and see if it can succinctify me?  As thus?!:

    /The exchange discusses the potential of AI to fill CEO positions
    presently and in the future, with certain qualifications. It
    suggests that CEOs may already be using AI to improve their job
    performance. The conversation also touches on how AI can improve
    coding by verifying it in ways a compiler cannot. Finally, the
    exchange mentions using ChatGPT as a text summarizer to make posts
    more concise./