[FRIAM] AI possibilities

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 15:54:52 EDT 2023

One of the principles of FAIR+ is to carefully track the provenance of data. Taken seriously, this implies we should keep the "raw" data [⛧], each transform, and each checkpoint of the derived data, throughout any given workflow. What LLMs do is start a workflow from a checkpoint (or a set of checkpoints) data, largely ignoring the provenance of that data. Biological organisms are a bit different in their ability to return to the "raw" data and reproduce (not repeat) checkpointed data through similar workflows. E.g. I can not only read about brewing (starting in the middle of someone else's workflow), I can also brew (reproduce their workflow myself). LLMs can't do that. But a LLM embodied in metal or flesh *could* do that.

[⛧] There is no such thing as raw data. There is no such thing as absolute grounding. It's an infinite regress.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ