[FRIAM] Watch "The Most Important Idea in Physics: The Principle of Least Action - Ask a Spaceman!" on YouTube

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Mon Jul 3 02:51:01 EDT 2023

Hi Nick,

Exercise caution when attempting to grasp the principle of least action,
particularly if you desire an intuitive comprehension of it.

It is essential to recognize the significance of the principle of least
action, as it applies to various areas of physics and could potentially
hold a closer answer to the "why" question than Newtonian physics regarding
the laws of motion.

However, based on our current knowledge, the best explanation for why the
principle of least action holds true is that it aligns with the
observations and experiments conducted in the real world. Although a
breakthrough might be on the horizon, a consensus has not yet been reached
regarding the "why" question.

Therefore, at present, the following points can be made:
a) When applied to the laws of motion, the principle of least action and
Newton's laws of motion are equivalent.
b) The reason for their acceptance lies in their agreement with empirical
evidence and experimental results.
c) The principle of least action carries more depth as it applies across
several other fields of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum
physics.
d) The fundamental formulation of the principle of least action is also
simpler than that of Newtonian physics.

However, if you are aiming to develop an intuitive understanding of the
motion of objects in the real world, it is advisable to adhere to Newtonian
physics. The principle of least action lacks inherent intuitiveness. Let me
rephrase that: I have personally constructed an intuitive understanding
that I find useful, but I cannot present it as the definitive answer.
Perhaps someone else has a compelling intuitive explanation? I am open to
hearing different perspectives.

Moreover, for practical mechanical engineering calculations involving
forces and motion in the real world, Newtonian physics surpasses the
principle of least action.