[FRIAM] Thursday

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 12:42:45 EDT 2023

Hi, Steve,

I didn’t get this memo in time.  At minimum, let’s you and I get together at 1.45 to review our conversation from last week and keep me from backsliding.

For instance, to abuse the life-guard swimmer metaphor a bit, let’s imagine a situation in which the swimmer is unconscious and floating.  The swimmer is not an agent.  Now, does this make a difference?  In one case there is a “negotiation” between the lifeguard and the swimmer, and in the other, not.

So, there is a sense in which lightening is made possible by a negotiation between the charged cloud and the oppositely charged ground.

In the convection situation, would it not be fair to say that there is a negotiation between the cooler dryer denser air above and the warmer, moister, less-dense airbelow to find non-conflicting pathways, i.e., columns of rising and falling air?  In each case, “feelers” are put out and accepted or.

Am I backsliding already?

Nick