[FRIAM] Radical Empiricism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 5 11:08:45 EDT 2023

What James is talking about / alluding to:

  A - Hallucinogens (which he did experience) where the "preconceived notions of theories" are disrupted, and one gropes to make sense of what is apprehended. But, this is only a partial example as multiple perceptual filters, "oh wow the colors, the colors," are still present.

B- Satori (which I do not think James claims to have experienced but was aware of others making the claim) where there is no separation between "self" and "universe." But, in this instance the term "experience" is nonsensical because the implied experiencer does not exist.

C- Hallucinogens and satori (incidental and ephemeral Satori) which is an 'additive" experience as described by Huxley with mescaline—a kind of "extra"—ordinary experience.

As to agreement with Husserl: not "same" but "similar" in a faceted way.

davew