[FRIAM] Kinks in perceptual space

Angel Edward edward.angel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 13:21:55 EST 2023

Steve,

Thanks for the post. I haven’t been following the research in color for a long time although it remains one of the areas I love to talk about in my books and lectures.

The paper is really interesting although I’m not sure how the result could be used in areas such as compression since both small and large differences in color are important. Maybe on the user side but not on the transmission or storage side. The Fast Company article shows a superficial understanding of color spaces at times and thus exaggerates the potential results of the research.

I have a couple of potential issues with the paper that I thought would have been brought up by reviewers. Early the paper, there is statement that seems to say that RGB is what the cones in our eyes sense. Perhaps it's just a poorly stated sentence but the there types of cones do not measure r, G and B in a 1 to 1 way. The three types have peaks in the Green, between Green and Yellow, and in the Blue. In addition, we less than 10% of cones are blue sensitive (and these tend to be on the periphery of the retina). The standard NTSC RGB system was based on the available  technology and not on perception.  Luminance (L in Lab, Y in XYZ) is mostly Green and Yellow. What makes things more complex is that we are more sensitive to  small changes in color (MacAdams ellipsoids of Just Noticeable Differences) in the blue and least sensitive in the Green.

I would have not pointed out the above except that I was worried that the experiment was done totally on luminance, changing L* with a*=b*=0. I would have found the paper more convincing if the measure was applied to changes in chromaticity in the experiment.

We used to worry about these issues way back in the 70’s when I was working with my friend Anil Jain at the USC Image Processing Institute. One problem then finding color maps for compressing a color image form 3 bytes/pixel to 1 byte/pixel and for pseudo coloring grayscale images. The problem was to find a map that in which each step was perceptually equal. Anil did a paper that appeared in the JOSA in 82 using geodesics in a perceptual color space. The problem with the result was that the colors he got were really ugly compared to the usual thermal map using cool colors (blues and greens) going to hot colors (yellows and reds).

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	edward.angel at gmail.com
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel