[FRIAM] Bing Chat vs ChatGPT

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Mon Mar 20 15:51:37 EDT 2023

Maybe my mistake was that I tried to chat with Bing Chat. It is called Bing Chat, but although it is called like this, it is not good at doing at "chat". ChatGPT is much better when it comes to chatting.Both are good at summarizing large texts in an instant. Microsoft should have called it "AI assisted search" or something like that, not Bing Chat. Bing Chat is good at executing searches and then summarizing them. It is bad in chatting.Google will probably learn from Microsoft's mistakes. I am curious what their solution will look like. -J.
-------- Original message --------From: Steve Smith <sasmyth at swcp.com> Date: 3/20/23  7:47 PM  (GMT+01:00) To: friam at redfish.com Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Bing Chat vs ChatGPT I haven't tried BingChat yet, but I guess I'm not surprised at your (Jochen) experience and in particular the recapitulation of the Clippy  experience.This is why *I* didn't double down on my (already zero) stock investments in Microsoft <grin>...   even if OpenAI (now heavily owned by MS?) is in the lead by many measures, I don't have a lot of confidence that MS will deliver it to the masses in nearly as clever of a way as they might or someone else will.Maybe technological prowess is all that matters if we really are deep into the power-band of the Kurzweilian Singularity, but if in fact we are still in the "clutch slipping to convert raw power to torque" phase, then  human engagement is a bit more critical/central.   I find Google on-average does a hugely better job than MS and Apple slam-dunks them both in this mode."yet another" player might swoop in and scoop them all?   Amazon is an obvious poised contender and already has a huge piece of the market's attention with Alexa on one hand and with the "shopping" domain on the other.   There are probably other (non) obvious contenders poised to kick the chair-legs out of the modern "digital robber barons"?   MuskCorp (Tesla/SpaceX/Neuralink/Boring/Twitter???) seems like another one to watch out for...   the list probably is open ended (uncountable but not in the set theoretic sense).I've dorked quite a bit with GPT4 now and am equally impressed and depressed by it.   I won't bore the room with my myriad experiences to date, but suffice it to say that I'm not looking over my shoulder to make sure that the AI Overlord is about to grind me under it's digital bootheel, although I *do* suspect that my life and those who are yet-more-engaged in societies demands and opportuities will find the world a bit askew if not totally topsy-turvey within a very few years or very many months.   The old phrase "Internet-time" (circa 2000?) has a whole new scale perhaps?> I've read that Bing Chat is now available for everyone in this blog post..> https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/202x/2023/03/14/Binging>> ..and it really seems to be available now for everyone. I have tried > it and it feels horrible though. The overall experience is totally > different from ChatGPT. Bing Chat is stubborn and repetitive. Do you > remember Clippy the office assistant? Bing Chat is like Clippy: it is > simply annoying. And if you say something that it doesn't like it > aborts the conversation abruptly. Microsoft took something valuable > and ruined it.>> -J.>>> -. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv> Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom https://bit.ly/virtualfriam> to (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com> FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/> archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/>    1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listservFridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom https://bit.ly/virtualfriamto (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.comFRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/