[FRIAM] Fwd: Please join SFI on Tuesday, April 11th for our first 2023 Community Lecture - A Discussion on "AI and the Gig Economy" with Mary Gray and Cris Moore

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Tue Mar 21 22:31:13 EDT 2023

FYI

=======================
Tom Johnson
Inst. for Analytic Journalism
Santa Fe, New Mexico
505-577-6482
=======================

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Tue, Mar 21, 2023, 11:26 AM
Subject: Please join SFI on Tuesday, April 11th for our first 2023
Community Lecture - A Discussion on "AI and the Gig Economy" with Mary Gray
and Cris Moore
To: Tom <tom at jtjohnson.com>

Trouble viewing this email? View it in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/santafe/harnessing-chaos-and-predicting-unpredictable-arti-1232250?e=661e7b42f4>
.
SFI Community Lecture AI and the Gig Economy
Mary Gray, *Microsoft, Harvard University *
<https://santafe.edu/events/ai-and-gig-economy-oppression-or-innovation>
Cris Moore, *Santa Fe Institute*

*Tuesday, April 11, 202*
<https://santafe.edu/events/ai-and-gig-economy-oppression-or-innovation>3.
*7:30
pm <https://santafe.edu/events/ai-and-gig-economy-oppression-or-innovation>*

*The Lensic Performing Arts Center 211 W. San Francisco Street Santa Fe,
New Mexico*
*​* <https://santafe.edu/events/ai-and-gig-economy-oppression-or-innovation>
<https://santafe.edu/events/ai-and-gig-economy-oppression-or-innovation>*Image:
detail "March of Intellect." William Heath. 1829*

*Artificial Intelligence is constantly in the news, * and the usual
question is whether it will help us or replace us. But behind every AI is a
long supply chain of human work that shapes decision-making systems. These
hidden humans doing that work operate in the gig economy. Their work, like
that of most gig workers, is independent and precarious, yet the AI they
develop carries the artifact of their labor. They enrich and refine the
data that AI depends on, and intervene when it fails.

So, will AI amplify our biases, or help us transcend them? Does AI simply
distill our own ideas and reflect them back at us, or does it provide
something new? And what democratic processes can, or should, govern the
creation and uses of AI?

Mary Gray <https://marylgray.org> is a MacArthur Fellow, a Senior Principal
Researcher at Microsoft Research, and a Faculty Associate at Harvard’s
Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society. Her book Ghost Work,
coauthored with Siddharth Suri, explores the lives of those whose work
underlies AI’s success.

Cris Moore <https://santafe.edu/people/profile/cristopher-moore> is a
Professor at the Santa Fe Institute who studies the uses and misuses of
algorithms in criminal justice and housing.

Reserve your *free tickets* through The Lensic Box Office online
<https://lensic.org/events/sfi-ai-and-the-gig-economy/> or call
(505) 988.1234. Santa Fe residents are encouraged to attend in person. This
panel will be streaming from Twitter <https://twitter.com/sfiscience>,
Facebook <https://facebook.com/santafeinstitute>, LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/20131>and our YouTube page.
<https://www.youtube.com/user/santafeinst>

This lecture is presented at no cost to the public thanks to generous
sponsorship from the *McKinnon Family Foundation*, with additional support
provided by <https://www.youtube.com/user/santafeinst>The Lensic Performing
Arts Center <http://www.lensic.org> and the Santa Fe Reporter.
<http://www.sfreporter.com>
Click here  <https://santafe.edu/engage/community>for more information
about SFI's Community Lecture Series.

<https://lensic.org/events/harnessing-social-capital/>

 Questions or difficulties? Email us at supportsfi at santafe.edu.
Follow us on
[image: Twitter] <http://twitter.com/sfiscience> [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/Santa-Fe-Institute-125124501057/timeline/> [image:
Linkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/santa-fe-institute> [image:
Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/sfiscience/?hl=en>

Unsubscribe
<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=7f844a066d&e=661e7b42f4&c=a0e1b27757>
from this list.

Our mailing address is: Santa Fe Institute, 1399 Hyde Park Road, Santa Fe,
NM 87501 USA