[FRIAM] The lies of Trump and ecDNA

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:44:41 EST 2024

I worry that "authoritarian rule" is an oversimplification of a stable state that could be better explained in another way. The playbook(s) you cite (thanks!) strike me as informal heuristics rather than formalizable rules like we allude to with Rule of Law. Granted, as our originalists and textualists exhibit daily, our laws are not very similar to formal systems. But I think they're more similar to such than the emergent rules you're listing. These rules might be better described as approaches, methods, or adaptively resolved estimation/modeling techniques.

Going back to Conant and Ashby, the controller probably isn't the individual Putin or Trump. As complex as those humans might be, I suspect neither is complex enough to control their polity. That implies there are finer grained dynamics we would need for a sufficient explanation of, at least, their emergence, if not their maintenance of power. With Trump, we'll see this November whether the controlling apparatus (whatever that is) is competent enough to regain power. I suspect it's not. It's an opportunity to study such emergence and transition. Similarly, Putin's status will degrade, whether gracefully or not.

These transitions seem more important than the heuristics by which the stable state is maintained, at least for gaining a mechanistic understanding of the dynamics at play.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ