[FRIAM] The lies of Trump and ecDNA

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Feb 29 12:11:31 EST 2024

> Focus on getting the majority in Congress so he can be impeached.

If Trump's base manages to bully their way into putting him back in
office, I think we will be experiencing precisely the canonical "tyranny
of the majority over the minority" in the worst way, which of course, is
what many of those insurrection-supporting folks are feeling
(righteously or not) about the current scene.

In 2000 I wasn't happy to see Bush-II take the reins (or have them
handed over by the Supreme court over hanging chad nuances?) but I felt
it was an inevitable swing of the political pendulum and besides "how
bad could it be?", then came 9/11 (encouraged/forced by the hyper-hawk
agendas of the right-wing "mandate"?) and the Rummy/Wolfey/Cheney
thuggery (with Bush as their puppet front man?).

I was fed up with Clinton for more reasons than his mis-handling of his
young intern (my own daughters roughly the same age) and felt Gore had
some of his cooties by association.  I still voted for him (first vote
since I helped Reagan knock Carter out of the park against my ultimate
best interests) but my morbid fascination watching all of Florida and
the rest of the country watching the coin-toss land on-edge and blowing
it as hard as they could to knock it over (right or left) to their
preference.

I was not happy with the way it turned out in the Supreme Court but by
that time might not have been that happy if the coin had blown over the
other way...  However come the 9/11 response, Iraq Invasion, I was
embarrassed by my complacency/fatalism.  Today feels vaguely similar.