[FRIAM] [un]official disambiguation?

Santafe desmith at santafe.edu
Tue Jul 2 15:46:38 EDT 2024

Yeah.  Worse than that.

If I look at Thomas and Alito, I’m not sure it would even be necessary to bribe them, apart from some coordination services.  They are both characters of grievance.  In that sense, not far removed at all from the MAGAs on the street.  Mostly they want to poke somebody in the eye, and humans are very resourceful in noticing opportunities when that motive is always present.

Roberts is the one I have to work harder to find words for.  Not because it is hard to know what I think of him, but because it is hard to put the right terms together.  It’s a kind of blandly presented disingenuousness, but so over-the-top disingenuous that that is where I run out of words.  Like watching a smash-and-grab burglary and saying “nothing but routine shopping days here”.  Putting up straw-men about things that aren’t happening, while explicitly refusing to acknowledge things that are.

To Glen’s point about “too conspiratorial”.  My sense of this is utterly ordinary.  I don’t see anything especially clever, or especially strategic, in these 6-scotus rulings.  There is a kind of garden-variety cowardice: not wanting to take crisp positions for which they can be pilloried, but wanting to gum up works, send frivolous things back to appellate courts, issue vague rulings where they know the interpretation will be done by hacks lower-down in the chain, who mostly are too anonymous to be pursued.  But there is a chicken-hawk quality to it too, and I feel like this is coming from a group dynamic that operates over individual styles: yes their rulings have the waffling character of cowardice, but they also _take_ cases that are flatly meritless, so that they get to put a stamp on them in spite of mostly adding mud (but always biased in one direction).  I guess the word I am struggling for is something like “decadence”.  Occupants of an institution so long insulated from the substance of its actions that their priorities have all been drawn off into small and empty vanities.  It seems utterly normal to me, but catastrophic in a country with the institutional size of the U.S., where bad choices can accumulate in vast numbers before there is enough of a selection response to address them.  At which point it becomes very hard to make corrections stably.

Eric