[FRIAM] An Open Letter to Joe Biden

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Jul 3 18:47:21 EDT 2024

Nick -

Your Magellanic voyage from desk to couch reminds me too much of my own
these days with nearly 20 years between us.  Each time you make that
journey without scaring yourself or anyone else you are my hero once again.

I could not find flaw in your eloquent Open Letter and speaks more
clearly to the class of thoughts I have had (the more productive rather
than the morbid fascination fueled snark I often indulge in?).   In
fact, whatever level of focus or effort you put into this puts any and
all things I do here to shame.   Bravo!

I wanted the reins of power to go into the hands of GenX in 2020, or
even Millennial Pete.   Unfortunately I misread Tulsi Gabbard as another
possible Millenial but she turned shitshow pretty quickly (even though I
appreciate some of her points).   I think it is too late to indulge in
the "orgy of democracy" referenced, and it is a shame to have the 'inner
circle elites' decide which horse to switch to midstream without regard
to "the people's choice" but the circumstances leave no other obvious
alternative to me.  It helps that "the people" already chose Kamala for
all her strengths or weaknesses as a (sub)candidate and the
possible-POTUS.   I think she might ought to be on the ticket no matter
what, but maybe for the wrong reasons...

Carry on,