[FRIAM] An Open Letter to Joe Biden

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jul 4 12:12:09 EDT 2024

Nick -
> Aw, Steve .   Get those hips done!  I waited to long to do mine.
I'm pretty sure (applying the principle of worst-case scenarios) once
the first order challenges (hips) relieve I will discover all the second
order challenges (knees, ankles, lower back, etc.) the hip pain (and my
accomodation) has been masking!   Why didn't you tell me that getting
old sucked and was not for sissies?

And I'll give you a ride in my exoskeleton when it arrives?

Once the Transformers for this modality (assistive upper-leg/hip
support/gait) gets trained up we can go mogul bashing on the ski hill
with Guerin and Fabio.  Or maybe I can download Pele's training data and
be come a world-class soccer-ball dribbler?  Or Frank's moves on the
tennis court and clutch/brake/gas in his sportscar?

    I know... I'm full of bad ideas... comes with the diagnosable
    ideaphoria...

        ...now back to staring into the political halogen headlights
        stuck on high beam...

nonsense aside I am interested in the gentle on/offramp to
transhumanism... assistive technologies with adaptive machine learning
seem like a good start.  This device will not be ready to aid me in
rehabilitation this round, but in a decade it may well be common to
strap something like this on to A) support recovery; B) monitor
recovery; C) guide recovery....   and like Musk FSD, it can maybe even
walk me to the refrigerator to remind me why I got up and went into the
kitchen?  Or I can take a nap while I carry out the trash? (sorry, I
forgot I said "nonsense aside").   I'll hold out on the neural lace
until a few of the GenXers here wring out the kinks and give good
reviews (assuming we can trust them to not be meat-puppets for the
Neuralink software?)