[FRIAM] Why the Mystery of Consciousness Is Deeper Than We Thought

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Thu Jul 4 23:04:20 EDT 2024

I don't follow your logic.
I totally agree with you that a reductionist explanation of consciousness
is not possible. I don't claim to understand anything about consciousness,
but I believe that it's an emergent complex phenomena.
There are many examples where real world emergent behavior are duplicated
in software.
What makes consciousness different? Granted, it has not, to my knowledge
been done, maybe there really are other factors involved? But I don't
follow the explanation that because you can't explain consciousness using a
reductionist approach it follows that, for example, an ABM approach will
not some day explain consciousness.
Like in Joshua Epstein's if you haven't grown it you haven't explained it.