[FRIAM] Why the Mystery of Consciousness Is Deeper Than We Thought

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 19:47:48 EDT 2024

I feel like y'all have lost an important part of the conversation, stemming from your invocation of multi-modal interaction. Whether we start with only 5 modes (see, smell, taste, hear, feel) or a very high dimensional one (including all the various signals across the various membranes (humidity, heat, absorption of chemicals through the skin, intake of exobiotics, etc.) each dimension can support a derivation (a meta-*: meta-sight, meta-taste, etc.) in a "linear" way. And each dimension can be fused in an n-ary function (f(taste,smell), g(sight,feel), h(hear, see), i(taste, smell, feel), etc.).

Oversimplifying this into aware versus meta-aware is going to lead you down a primrose path. Even if you admit the combinatorial explosion of multi-modal derivation and re-derivation of higher and higher order functions, you still have to include the fact that the functions operate at various rates of interaction with each other and the environment. And that the "environment" of each function is co-constructed by all the other functions, as well as the world outside the organism.

And even if you admit that, these orders may not complete. The ordering may be partial, where for example an Operator, O, might operate over a zeroth order signal from the environment combined with a 2nd order derivation. E.g.

O{taste, f(taste), g(f²(taste))), where f²() is something like f() applied twice either in time (like a wine that changes as you swish it in your mouth) or space (like a food that has chemicals inducing both salty and sweet).

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ