[FRIAM] Is consciousness a mystery? (used to be "mystery...deeper".T

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 9 17:04:29 EDT 2024

Maybe I should not be replying, as I do believe my dogs (and your cat if you have one) are conscious.

I have not experienced a Vulcan Mind-Meld with either of my dogs, so I cannot say with certainty they are conscious—I must infer it from observations:
1- interactions with other dogs would seem to indicate they "remember" past interactions and do not require the same butt-sniffing protocol with dogs they have met at the park frequently. Also they seem to remember who plays with who and who doesn't. "That ball is not mine, this one is."
2-they modify their behavior depending on the tenor, sharpness, and volume of barks, ear positions, tail wagging differences, by the other dogs; e.g., "that's enough."
3-They do not communicate to me in English, but seem to accept communication from me in that language—not trained responses to commands, but "listening to conversations" between myself and Mary and reacting to words (e.g., dog park) that are exchanged in those conversations. Mary and I are totally sedentary and speaking in conversational tone, so pretty sure there we are not sending 'signals' akin to training words, training tone of voice.
4-they seem to remember trauma, (one of our dogs spent three days with dead owner before anyone knew the owner was deceased and will bite if anyone tries to forcefully remove him from my (current bonded owner) presence.
5-seek "psychological comfort" by crawling into my bed and sleeping on my shoulder when the thunderstorm comes.

**_All of these are grounded in anthropomorphism—long considered a deadly error by ethologists._** (Some contemporary ethologists are exploring accepting and leveraging this "error" to extend our understanding of animal behavior.)

davew