[FRIAM] Is consciousness a mystery? (used to be "mystery...deeper".T

Nicholas Thompson thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 13:08:49 EDT 2024

Marcus,

I agree with you that  your two conditions

  i*f 1) it had continuous real time training and 2) the training was
coupled to the physical world through an array of sensors.*

necessary for a system to be conscious.  but unless you assert these
conditions define a conscious system, you leave begging the question of
what sort of experiences would lead you to assert that such a system is
conscious.   If, on the other hand, you do take these condition to be
defining, then the statement that such a system is conscious is a
tautology, without empirical implication.