[FRIAM] rhetoric tangent (was Why the Mystery of Consciousness Is Deeper Than We Thought)

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 15:51:40 EDT 2024

OK. But if there's no inside/outside distinction to be made, why ask what you asked distinguishing between doings versus equipment? I can imagine wanting to stick to proximal causes and not relying too much on abstract models based on anatomy, evolution, or whatnot. But if you view (as I do) the equipment as if it's "rolled up doings" ... little packages/recordings of past events/behaviors/doings, then we recognize that equipment is doings and don't need to make *that* distinction at all.

Of course we do need to distinguish between distant past behaviors (like Marcus learning by trial and error or accident what she's doing when pawing at him on the couch). But that past behavior is "rolled up" into, stored in, Marcus' anatomy ... it's potato potato and we just code switch when appropriate.

At a forum-level sociological level, is your restriction to the language of "behaviorist" proximal cause a reflection of your own needs? Or are you trying to teach others some way of thinking you feel like they/we don't have?

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ