[FRIAM] Does Dusty Love Dave, and VV.

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 17 10:35:24 EDT 2024

>From the beginning, I believed this thread was, in substantial part, Nick's attempt to 'teach' us to think as behavioralists and see how far we could go in achieving some kind of consensus. I tried very hard to couch all of my responses in such terms. I did express, early on, that I had serious doubts about how far we could go without deviating into other questions—and the answer appears to be not far.

First I copped to blatant anthropomorphism with seem to be accepted with no concern.
Then Nick introduced metaphysics followed by a quick mea culpa.
Then a flood of additional metaphsysics (inside/outside), inter-species (human-whale, human-machine) illustrations, definitional nuances (consciousness, awareness, intelligence), and my challenge to the 'approach' because it excluded 'evidence' from meditation or drugs.

Although Nick keeps saying he is 'pleased' with responses, I am curious as to whether or not we are really making progress towards consensus of any kind.

But, just in case, responding to Nick's last question to me:
Dusty will look up, at Jackson, as he is receiving a treat, then stand, in a position I interpret as 'being on alert' and look at Jackson, then at me, then Jackson, then me (sometimes as many as 4-5 times), then 'staring' at me.  Jackson does something similar, but he will also utter a small bark/yip while staring.

davew