[FRIAM] consciousness - Don't want Nick's ire, so creating new thread

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:46:01 EDT 2024

While the evidence for where endogenous DMT is generated still exhibits too much uncertainty for any kind of confident assertion, I think consensus is forming around the hypothesis that DMT is as much a neurotransmitter as any other. But given that all the popular entheogens (DMT, LSD, Ψ, etc.) operate over the 5-HT pathways, those pathways seem more interesting from a consciousness studies perspective. I can't help but wonder if someone's compiled an exhaustive list of 5-HT pathways, all of which can be modified by any of the entheogens, although in various ways. We study the therapeutic effect of Ψ mostly because of its short response window. It's difficult to study something that has a 4 hour effect in any kind of lab ... you gotta pay people, reserve the lab space, etc. A 30 minute effect is more cost effective.

But if we had a systems biology database of all the pathways with 5-HT in a prominent role, we could optimize for lab studies and target any and all molecules that modified those pathways. Where/when did those pathways emerge? Which of them emerged first? Etc. If psychedelics can give us a clue as to the origins of consciousness, that systems biological route seems the most promising.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ