[FRIAM] generics, object history, & essentialism (was Self-Consciousness, experience and metaphysics)

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:48:05 EDT 2024

The paper seems (to me) to suggest the opposite, that children may exhibit more non-obvious thought than adults. The discussions of "generics" and "object history" are more enlightening than the discussion of essentialism. A predictive processing oriented conjecture might be that cognitive inference is less "bounded" (as in the computer science or math concept of binding variables to concrete values aka "definit") in children, giving their cognitive structure more wiggle room, more ability to pretend and simulate stories for things like dolls or arbitrary objects. But as you either a) present them with definite articles like "the elephants" as opposed to just "elephants" or b) as you fill out their memories with their own concrete experiences as they develop, the constraints tighten up and any pretense or generative simulation has to percolate into finer-grained cracks bound by the realities they've experienced.

Under this conjecture, people more susceptible to bias, conspiracy thinking, or creative pursuits (like sci-fi/fantasy) may be more child-like than people who "stick to the facts", whether those facts are experience-based or assertions by trusted sources (cf Gellmann amnesia <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Gell-Mann_Amnesia_effect>). It also may speak to one's ability/tendency to anthropomorphize non-human animals or artifacts like computers and cars. And tying back to the entheogens, perhaps part of the therapeutic effect of Ψ in end-of-life attitudes may be a "freeing up" of those learned bindings/constraints, allowing the sufferer to pretend/imagine more and more widely ... to become more child-like in their cognitive play.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ