[FRIAM] Self-Consciousness, experience and metaphysics

Nicholas Thompson thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 15:24:31 EDT 2024

Hi, Frank,

I think that anything that can speak intelligibly of a shared world is
conscious.So the dog is conscious, if it can speak, if only to itself.
It's hard for me to imagine that a dog that cannot speak aloud can speak to
itself, but let that go. If you take the bubble serious, the  sentiment is
indeed very layered. But if my dog did that with me, I would take it as,
"so you got me in the car; so now what" or, more simply, " Are we there
yet?"
 Nick